Moist and juicy, these cider-marinated pork chops are paired with grilled fennel for an easy gourmet dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinade Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 can (473 mL) Thornbury Premium Apple Cider, divided
- 4 shallots, sliced, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili flakes
- 4 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
- 1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fennel fronds (optional)
Stir together 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) cider, half of the shallots, half of the oil, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, pepper and chili flakes until blended. Place pork chops in large re-sealable plastic bag; pour in cider mixture and seal. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
In bowl, toss fennel with remaining cider, shallots, oil and salt, thyme sprigs, vinegar and butter. Wrap in double thickness of foil packet large enough to contain and seal in mixture.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Remove chops from marinade and shake off any excess, discarding marinade. Grill for about 6 minutes per side or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chop registers 160°F (71°C) and just a blush of pink remains in centre.
Meanwhile, place fennel packet on grill; grill for 12 to 14 minutes or until fennel is tender. Transfer to plate. Wearing oven mitts to avoid steam, carefully open foil packet. Serve pork chops on bed of fennel. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds if using.
Tip: You can use centre-cut or rib pork chops.