Apple desserts are always a crowd-pleaser – and this one will definitely wow friends and family!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 5 baking apples (such as Cortland or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 sheets pre-rolled puff pastry (each sheet 10-inch/25 cm square)
- 2 cups (500 mL) vanilla ice cream
- 1 can (473 mL) Thornbury Spiced Apple Cider, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Apple Blossoms: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Toss together apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and cinnamon. Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; add 3 tbsp (45 mL) water and apple mixture. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until apples are tender. Let cool completely.
Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; set aside. On lightly floured surface, cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Brush corners of each pastry with egg wash. Prick pastry all over with fork. Place 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooked apple mixture in centre of each square. Bring corners of the square to the centre and pinch together. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Repeat to make 8 blossoms.
Brush pastry with egg wash. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and flaky.
Caramel: Meanwhile, pour cider into saucepan set over high heat; bring to boil. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup (60 mL); set aside.
Add sugar to heavy-bottom saucepan. Pour in 1/4 cup (60 mL) water and cook over medium heat, without stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes or until uniformly golden brown, gently swirling pan if sugar is browning unevenly.
Carefully add reduced cider and cream to saucepan. Bring to simmer, stirring slowly with wooden spoon until combined. Cook for 2 minutes; stir in butter until combined. Remove from heat; let cool completely. (Can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)
Serve apple blossoms warm with scoop of ice cream and drizzle of caramel.
- Also delicious with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Serve leftover caramel sauce on ice cream sundaes, brownies, waffles and pancakes for a special treat.