Oven roasted instead of grilled, this beer can chicken is incredibly tender and flavourful. It’s the perfect filling for tacos, but you can use it in sandwiches and salads too.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 can (473 mL) Thornbury Pickup Truck Pilsner
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 lb/1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (7 inch/18 cm), warmed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- Lime wedges, for serving
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Remove top rack in oven and adjust remaining rack to lowest position. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Remove giblets from chicken cavity, if any, and discard.
Stir together oil, lime juice, chipotle, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper; season chicken all over and inside cavity with oil mixture.
Open can of beer; remove about 1/2 cup (125 mL), reserving for another use. (Removing some of the beer will heat the liquid faster, which will create more steam for flavour as the chicken roasts.) Assemble chicken to sit on beer can; transfer to small roasting pan.
Roast chicken in lower third of oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of inner thigh registers 185°F (85°C) and juices run clear when thigh is pierced.
Let chicken stand in roasting pan with beer can for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Carefully remove chicken from beer can (it will still be hot). Cut chicken into pieces and shred meat with 2 forks.
Divide chicken evenly among warm tortillas. Top with lettuce, avocado, radishes, salsa and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges.
Tip: To complete the taco meal, serve with grilled Ontario corn.