Easy to prepare, this quick bread is perfect with hearty soups and stews.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1 can (473 mL) Thornbury Jubilee Amber Lager
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 1/3 cups (825 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (50 mL) finely chopped chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 9- x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
Heat large skillet over medium-high heat; cook bacon, turning once, for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Reserve 1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon fat; set aside. Chop bacon when cool enough to handle.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in lager and bacon fat just until combined (do not overmix). Fold in cheese, bacon, chives and garlic.
Scrape into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake for about 1 hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; let cool completely.
- Wrap tightly and store at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Substitute green onions for chives if desired.
- Substitute Monterey Jack for Cheddar cheese if desired.